We have a new location for our Bayview/Glenfield community pest plant disposal bin!
**Bayview Community Centre, 72 Bayview Road.**
We also still have bins as usual at:
** Beach Haven Community House, 140 Beach Haven Road
** Kauri Park School, 4 Mcglashen Place
** Huka Road (at the bottom), Birkenhead
These bins are a great community asset. Our volunteers and all Kaipātiki residents can securely dispose of environmental weeds for FREE, in order to prevent these destructive pest plants from spreading to nearby areas of native bush. Spread the word!
Collect any pods without delay! To avoid seed dispersal, please put all moth plant pods and madeira vine seed heads in plastic bags and securely tie the tops.
What can you put in the pest plant bins?
Target invasive environmental weeds:
- Moth Plant - seeds/seed pods (securely tied in bags), roots
- Wild Ginger - seed heads, rhizomes and roots
- Woolly nightshade - seed heads, flower heads
- Madeira Vine - aerial nodules/seeds/seed pods (keep in bags), roots
- Climbing asparagus vine - roots, or whole plant (if seeds present)
Other pest weeds accepted:
- Brush wattle - seed pods only
- Banana passionfruit - roots and seed pods
- Monstera deliciosa (Fruit salad plant) - all parts
- Agapanthus - flowers, seed heads and roots
- Ivy - seed heads
- Privet - seed heads
- Loquat, Acmena - fruit/seeds (but not branches )
- Bangalow and Phoenix palm seeds
- Bamboo or giant reed - leave on site to break down
- Large branches from brush wattle, privet, acmena (monkey apple), loquat or other shrubs - leave on site to break down
- Jasmine, Blue Morning Glory, Tradescantia - we can lend you a ginger barrel or weed bag to help decompose these on site.
*Note many invasive seeds and other regenerative weed tissues can be rotted in a barrel of water (lid on) within 1-2 years, or composted in special ‘weed bags’ for 1 year plus. These are great options if you are an organic, chemical-free household.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org, visit our website or pop in to one of our toolshed events.